Saturday, August 1, 2009

Painted Pony Beans

We are so busy harvesting food from the garden,
that I am getting very behind posting on my blog.

My intention is to keep a good journal here, so when I need to look back
from year to year I know what I did and when!

We were busy picking Painted Pony Beans this week. I have never grown this variety and I have to admit, I think they are mighty fine! The beans are very uniform, stringless and taste great!

I have a grand experiment going on in the freezer on these beans.

I took some of the beans straight from the garden and just wiped them clean.
Then I sealed them in an vacuum-sealed bag.

I took some other beans and soaked them in cold water for 5 minutes,
dried them, and then vacuum-sealed them.

Lastly, I took some beans and blanched them for 3 minutes in boiling water,
then cooled them in cold water, patted dried and vacuum-sealed them.

I want to see if the quality of the beans is the same or different
after they've been in the freezer for 6 months.
I would like to see if vacuum-sealing preserves the quality of the beans
without the extra blanching step that I normally do.
So I guess we'll see in Februrary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Recommended for Essential Oils

Resources

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory