Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chicken Delight

I lost my Cuckoo Maran Rooster as I mentioned in my last post. But yesterday as I was talking to a friend, I asked her if she was going to be ordering from the McMurray Hatchery anytime soon and coincidentally she was planning on placing an order today.

So she tacked four straight run (will contain an assortment of males and females) Cuckoo Marans onto her order for me. Yippee!!! I'll be getting a new rooster and a couple new hens, so I'm happy. They will be coming in April about the same time that my order of Barred Rock Chickens are coming so they will all be raised together....JOY!

I will have to make sure and tag the Cuckoo Maran's legs as they look VERY MUCH like the Barred Rock Chickens and I know I won't be able to tell them apart once they get bigger.

I am trying raising the Barred Rocks as my main meat bird this year as they are a heritage bird that is listed on Slow Food USA's Ark of Taste. What is Slow Food USA? Slow Food is an idea, a way of living and a way of eating. It is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world.

The Ark of Taste is a catalog of over 200 delicious foods in danger of extinction. By promoting and eating Ark products we help ensure they remain in production and on our plates. I am happy to report that I am currently raising several of the items on their list and will soon be adding even more!

Raising animals is a lot of joy and I am glad I have something to be happy about after such calamity in the chicken coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Recommended for Essential Oils

Resources

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory