Friday, June 26, 2009

Turnips with Beer Cheese Sauce

I was out weeding the garden today. You know how sometimes there are areas you just avoid and hope they'll just take care of themselves? Well, onions is one of those areas for me. I have three different onion areas and each one of them has been properly neglected up to now.



Nonetheless, today I set my sites on one of my onion rows. This double row is tightly sandwiched in between one row of beets and a double row of turnips. As I was weeding I couldn't help but notice some nice size turnips. I pulled a few. Here is how my row looked when I finished (recipe follows)






Turnips with Beer Cheese Sauce

1 - 1/2 lbs. turnips, thickly sliced ( I washed these but did not peel)
2 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 t salt
1 C milk
1 C sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 C beer

Cook turnips in boiling salted water until tender, drain. Over medium heat, melt butter, blend in flour, salt and dash of pepper. Add milk all at once while stirring. Cook until thickened. Turn off heat and stir in cheese. I add the beer after the cheese is melted. Combine cooked, drained turnips and cheese sauce in 1 quart casserole. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (or until bubbly). Sprinkle with paprika and serve. Serves 4

Note: I needed this recipe to serve more, so I added extra turnips and it turned out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Recommended for Essential Oils

Resources

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory