Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Acidophilus Milk

I have been making kefir from real Kefir grains that I bought from the Kefir Lady. I bought these grains because I wanted to add more probiotics and acidophilus products to my diet. Milk lends itself well to probiotic and acidophilus cultures.

I ordered my kefir grains and after they came in the mail, I put them into milk to get them working again. It only took a day to get them working. It was interesting to see how long they needed to work in a quart of milk and how often I would need to change the milk. Occassionally I eat a few of the grains because the kefir grains grow and then need more milk or a shorter time to sit in the milk to get a good probiotic product. Sometimes I end up with more kefir than I can use and then I put the grains in a frig for a week or two. I do use the kefir like buttermilk in baking so it is great in my rhubarb coffee cake recipe or in biscuits or pancakes.

I think it is interesting that so many of the things that Americans have given up in their diets in favor of highly refined and processed foods are simple natural items that really boost the immune system. Fermentation was largely used in food preservation up until electricity made it possible to store food in a refrigerated or frozen state very easily and conveniently. However, the loss of fermented food from our diet has really had detrimental effects on our health. Wild Fermentation is a website that has a lot of great information about fermation. Even though I haven't read the entire book, I did sneak a preview at the book, The Revolution will not be Microwaved. It looks like a very interesting read and it is reviewed by a number of well-known, well respected individuals.

Acidophilus Milk, Probiotic Milk, Fermented Milk......all natural healthy ways to boost your immune system!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Recommended for Essential Oils

Resources

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory