Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Heisman is here!


The past week was a little crazy adjusting to a new little baby around. But he is growing and doing well enough that he will be going out to the barn to stay very soon. He goes out with us to do the chores and I think he is eager to be outside.


Heisman is a southdown ram lamb. Another sheep person didn't have time to care for this little fella, so we took him in. We aren't planning to use him in any part of our breeding program so he will become a whether soon. I didn't really need the extra work right now, but I really wanted the experience of caring for him as we have 17 ewes that have been bred and this is our very first time having lambs. So I figured it would be easier getting experience with just one little guy than when I have 30+ lambs in the barn very soon.


I am learning homestead life as I go. I am fortunate that I have an adventurous spirit and some good friends who are learning as they go too. But sometimes I think it would have been nice to learn these things as I grew up (like my grandma did). You can only learn so much from reading a book. I do better with real hands-on training.
I will certainly be more prepared for my own lambs that I would have been if Heisman hadn't come along. I need to get a few more supplies like stuff for tube feeding and colostrum powder and extra nipples for bottle feeding. SOOO glad I did this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Recommended for Essential Oils

Resources

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory