Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The More with Less Cookbook

The More with Less Cookbook is my All-time favorite cookbook. It was written by Doris Janzen Longacre who was a prominent Mennonite Woman. There are several reasons why no other cookbook has ever beaten out this cookbook as my all-time favorite. First, the book is written in 1976, and yet, it is as though it was written just today. The condition of the American diet and lifestyle has improved very little over the course of 30+ plus years. In fact it has taken a backslide in epidemic levels. There are relatively few nutritious convenience foods available and convenience is today's key ingredient. No one know how to cook anymore.

Second, the recipes are truly from scratch recipes. You will not find casseroles where you dump in a can of cream of soup here and a packet of seasoning mix there. You find true meals based on whole grains, vegetables, basic meats and healthier snack and dessert recipes.

Third, there is a lot of very informational thoughts on why we need to reduce our consumption and modify our eating habits. Now remember....this was written over thirty years ago. I think Doris would roll over in her grave if she saw where America is today.

Also, there are a lot of tips included through out the book, There are ideas on how to modify or improve certain recipes.....now this is my kind of cooking! I rarely measure, frequently improvise and most often totally reinvent recipes. I think it is the exception rather than the rule when I follow a recipe exactly....I'm not even sure I remember how to do that anymore.

So these are a few of the top reasons this book is my all-time favorite. Check the More with Less Cookbook out of the public library....or better yet....just buy a copy and see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Recommended for Essential Oils

Resources

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory