Sunday, January 18, 2009

What's For Dinner?

Well I've made it through the first real week of conscientiously not eating anything other than what we grew ourselves or organic foods. The only exception is in the vegetable/fruit department. The differing co-ops I visit are rather a distance away, so I have resorted to purchasing a few non-organics in the veg/fruit department. But I sadly see that this must be changed as well. We love potatoes. Now I read that potatoes are one of the most poisoned vegetables on the store shelf....who knew? So I'll be off to buy some organics this week for sure. I am planning on growing those this year.

I also bought some oranges from the store. This is the in-season for oranges, so I'm going to see if I can locate an organic growing and buy some direct. I know this goes against the idea of eating locally, but citrus in the winter is a real treat and a treat can be had once in a while.

The snow is softly falling and I find myself dreaming about what the garden will look like once the snow is gone. The ring, "What's for dinner?" is the common question around here. Happily I can report that we have an abundance of crops and pastured meat tucked safely in the freezer, so dinner is just a few steps away. Tonight I'll serve some organic chopped broccoli and turkey with rice. No I didn't grow the rice, but do purchase this in bulk so as to minimize packaging.

Organics....that's what's for dinner in this house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Goat Milk Soap DVD

Recommended for Essential Oils

Resources

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory